Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Author Interview: Sydney Logan

This week I would like to welcome Sydney Logan, author of Lessons Learned. This one is on my to-read list and it looks great.

About Lessons Learned:
Selected as the Best Romance Read of 2012 by Nose in a Book Reviews Blogger Book Fair Reader’s Choice Awards – Romance & New Adult Categories

A young girl needs to spread her wings, but a young woman needs roots.

English teacher Sarah Bray never thought she’d return to Sycamore Falls, but a traumatic event at her inner-city school leaves her desperate for the sanctuary of home. By returning to her roots, an older and wiser Sarah hopes to deal with the demons of her present and confront the ghosts of her past.

She discovers a kindred spirit in Lucas Miller, a teacher from New York with demons of his own. As the newest faculty members at Sycamore High School, they quickly become friends – bonding through Lucas’s culture shock and their mutual desire to build new lives. When they open their wounded hearts to each other, their friendship effortlessly evolves into romance.

Their love is put to the test when Matt, the quarterback of the football team, shares his deepest secret with Sarah. When the conservative community finds out, Sarah and Lucas – along with the town of Sycamore Falls – are schooled in the lessons of acceptance, tolerance, and love.
(**Keep reading after the interview for an excerpt from the book.)

Interview with Sydney Logan:

Describe your ideal writing space. How does it compare to reality?

Ideally, I would love to write outside on my front porch. Since it’s February, my reality is my office. I can’t wait until spring!


What is the first story you remember writing and what was it about?

I wrote a story called “Hope” when I was thirteen. I submitted it to one of those “Be a Writer” ads you used to see in magazines. I don’t really remember what it was about, but it was selected as a winner. All I had to do was pay mega money to enroll in their writing school. Needless to say, that didn’t happen. :)


Name a memorable book from your childhood. Why is it memorable?


I read Forever by Judy Blume when I was a teenager. I grew up very sheltered, so that book was quite the eye-opener for me.


If you could ask any writer (living or dead) a question, who would it be and what would you
ask?


I would ask Nicholas Sparks (my favorite author) why he feels the need to kill someone in every book he writes. :)


If you could pick any of the worlds or characters you have created, which would you want to
visit or spend a day with?


I’d love to spend a day with Lucas at Sycamore Falls.


What is one thing you like to do when you are not reading or writing?


I feel like I’m forever writing and reading, but when I’m not, I like to dabble in web design.


What are you currently working on?
I am currently editing my second novel, Mountain Charm, which is slated for release in late summer/early fall. I’m also writing a short story and starting work on book three. See? Forever writing! :)


Bio:

Sydney Logan holds a Master’s degree in Elementary Education and makes her home in the hills of East Tennessee. With the 2012 release of her first novel, Lessons Learned, she made the transition from bookworm to author. She has a very unhealthy obsession with music, and her iPod is filled with everything from Johnny Cash to Eminem. When she isn't reading or writing, she enjoys playing piano and relaxing on her front porch with her wonderful husband and their very spoiled cat. Please visit her official website at www.sydneylogan.com.


Where to find her:
Website & Blog
Facebook
Twitter
Where to get the book


Lessons Learned Excerpt:


Prologue

Voices roar through the high school cafeteria while students navigate their way to the tables. The cliques are easily spotted: the jocks, the geeks, the beauty queens, the slackers.

Where will he sit today?

Despite the fact he’s a handsome and impeccably dressed young man, he fades into the background. Knowing it’s pointless, the girls don’t bother to look his way, and the guys deliberately avoid his eyes.

He grips his tray tightly and heads toward the corner table with the rest of the outcasts. They nod hello, but that’s the end of any real attempt at conversation. It’s an unspoken rule of sorts. This is their refuge—a tiny bit of sanctuary in the hell that is public high school—and they’re content to sit in peace.

He takes a seat, and I can see the exhaustion on his face. It’s not a weariness that comes from too many sleepless nights. This is a bone-tired fatigue no seventeen-year-old kid should ever feel.

He’s giving in.

Giving up.

In my peripheral vision, I see a senior stalk into the cafeteria. He’s tall, with deep brown eyes and jet-black hair that won’t stay in place. He’s good looking, popular, and a little conceited, thanks to his father’s wealth and status.

He has a reputation to uphold.

Rumors to squash.

A score to settle.

He pulls the silver gun out of his jacket pocket. Amid the chaos, no one notices.

I notice.

I try to run, but I’m frozen in place.

I try to scream, but there’s no sound.

The first shot rings out, and suddenly, everyone’s on the cold tile.

Tears, prayers, screams.

Another shot, and for some reason, I’m the only one who can’t move. Who can’t scream. Who can’t do anything but watch as the young man’s body slumps over his tray.

Finally, I find my voice and scream his name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...