Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Author Interview: Wyatt Davenport


Today I am pleased to have with us Wyatt Davenport, author of the Lunara Series. (You can see my reviews here for Seth and Chloe, Gwen and Eammon, and Parker and the Protector.)

About Book 1 Seth and Chloe:
Earth is dead, destroyed by war, pollution, and ineptitude. What was left of the population has escaped to Mars. Hoping not to repeat the mistakes of the past, they have formed two new independent colonies: Aethpis and Zephyria, each with its own government and each with its own guarantees of rights and freedom. The two colonies will balance each other, keeping any single government from running Mars and gaining absolute power.

Lunara, a smaller colony on Earth’s moon, is charged with catching and mining meteors for desperately needed minerals.
But the deep-seated human thirst for domination is not easily defeated, nor is the capacity for deceit and betrayal. All it needs is a powerful catalyst, a prize valuable enough to risk plunging mankind into another destructive war.

Seth and Chloe, starwing fighter pilots attached to the mining ship Protector, are caught up in a violent series of events when Lunara is invaded. Seth, Chloe, and the crew of the Protector attempt to sort out who is responsible. A civil war ensues and the tide of suspicion swings back and forth between Aethpis and Zephyria.

Q&Q with Wyatt Davenport:

Describe your ideal writing space. How does it compare to reality?
My ideal workspace is really an ideal mindset. If I can cut the TV off, pull the plug on the internet, and turn off my cell phone, I can usually get into a place where I zone out and write for an hour or two. When I come to, I usually can write fast-paced and detailed scenes without much editing needed. I can write anywhere I can get into my bubble.


What is the first story you remember writing and what was it about?
The first story I ever wrote and the only story I have ever written is the Lunara series. I'm a scifi junky and the Lunara series is the place I turn to when I want to write and de-stress. I've written different types of scenes in this world and have discarded a few as I experiment with different styles and techniques. The Lunara series is coming to an end soon and I've a few new ideas I would like to try.


Name a memorable book from your childhood. Why is it memorable?
When I think of childhood reading, I think of the Hardy Boy books. I've read near 75% of them and I've always wanted to finish the rest to reach my childhood goal. These books were simple, yet very interesting to me. Who doesn't like a good mystery? The first big boy book I ever read and its still my favorite Earth-bound book is Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. Its such a great and "plausible" scifi story.


If you could ask any writer (living or dead) a question, who would it be and what would you ask?
I would ask Hemingway how he made his sentences so simple, yet convey so much information? He wouldn't have an answer for me as his talent was so natural that he would probably say he just did it. I strive to maintain his simplicity in my writing. If a ball is red, it's red and doesn't need to be explained further than a word. I always admired his writing style and I use it when I'm stuck or feel I've drifted from my center. If I learn even one percent from him, I'm better off.


If you could pick any of the worlds or characters you have created, which would you want to visit or spend a day with?
Gwen Arwell is a character from my first trilogy. She is the daughter of one of the leaders of Mars and she had some difficult choices between her duty and her family in my books. I developed a crush on her since I created her ten years ago. Not only her beauty, but her drive and her commitment to her causes is something I admire (and I wrote her as someone I would like as a role-model). If she became real and I lost my control over her, she'd be fascinating to know.


What is one thing you like to do when you are not reading or writing?
My favorite thing to do when I'm not writing is to play with my dogs at the large dog parks. The parks are quiet and my dogs are never happier than running around through the forests. I like the quiet spots in life.


What are you currently working on?
 I just finished the first draft of the final Lunara trilogy. This will complete the eight book series and provide closure to a lot of the open questions from the first five books.


Get Book 1 FREE:

 
 
 
Find the author:
Website
Twitter
Goodreads
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...