Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Author Interview: J.D. Faver

Today please welcome J.D. Faver to WiLoveBooks. I have reviewed several of her books here: On IceBad MedicineBad Karma, and Bad Vibes.

J.D. Faver lives near Houston, Texas. She writes contemporary romance and mystery/suspense. Although she writes daily, she still finds time to enjoy family and friends. She also enjoys cooking, gardening, and painting.
She is active in several writer's organizations in the area. She belongs to National RWA and is a member of all three Houston area chapters. She is owned by two cats and a small, yappy rescue dog.
She would rather be sailing or on a beach somewhere, but if she can't do either of those things, she would just as soon write.



Describe your ideal writing space. How does it compare to reality?
When I'm writing, which is every day, I sort of zone out. I take my laptop outside to write on my patio, and I also stretch out in my recliner with my dog on the footrest. I write sitting in front of my PC, which is housed in a huge oak roll-top desk. I write on my netbook anyplace I happen to be. I always have that with me and a flash drive stuck in my purse with whatever story I'm working on at the time. 

What is the first story you remember writing and what was it about? 
When I was in the second grade, Sister Anastasia encouraged my writing. She gave me a package of colored chalk and let me stay in at recess so I could draw the scenery on the 3 blackboards. So naturally, I wrote 3-act plays. I had to hand write out the scripts for my fellow actors. It was a reader's theater, so we read the parts. I wrote a new play every couple of weeks. I know people think of a Catholic education as being stern, and having your fingers smacked with rulers, but it wasn't like that at all. I sometimes think of Sister Anastasia and how she drew the best out of each child.

Name a memorable book from your childhood. Why is it memorable?
I can't honestly remember anyone ever reading to me at home. I learned to read early, and maybe this was the reason. My 4th grade teacher read to us every afternoon for a while before the final bell rang. That was magic time. She read Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm and The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew. But I think I enjoyed the Anne of Green Gables stories most of all. I read Little Women on my own and really identified with Jo.

If you could ask any writer (living or dead) a question, who would it be and what would you ask? 
I have so many favorites, but probably Eudora Welty would be the one I would most love to spend time with. I adore the quirky, flawed characters she created and the way she managed to saturate each scene with so much setting. You could smell the magnolias and hear bees buzzing. I would probably ask her how she developed such depth in her writing.

If you could pick any of the worlds or characters you have created, which would you want to visit or spend a day with? 
I would love to go to Alaska, the setting for part of ON ICE. I would want to go in the summer, of course. Not a fan of bitter cold.

What is one thing you like to do when you are not reading or writing? 
I love to cook and preparing meals for my family and friends gives me great pleasure. I have published one cookbook and the second is ready to go. I first wrote a huge cookbook for my daughter-in-law a few years ago. I gathered all the family recipes for several generations back, and gave them to her as a gift. I also gave a copy to my daughter. Now the family recipes are captured for posterity.

What are you currently working on? 
I'm working on two novels at the same time. I find it easier to do this because if I write myself into a corner on one, I can go to the other and keep writing until some brilliant solution comes to mind. One of my current projects is BAD DREAMS, the 4th romantic thriller in The Edge of Texas series. At the same time, I'm working on the 2nd YA fantasy. Hope to get them both finished before Christmas.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!
Thank you so much for your interest in my projects, Brinda.

Reading order for The Edge of Texas series (which I highly recommend if you like romantic suspense):
1. Bad Medicine
2. Bad Karma
3. Bad Vibes
4. Bad Dreams (on the way)                                                                                                                                                                                        
Where to find the author:
Website
Facebook
Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...